Participants in the First Tee — Delaware Program engage with trained, caring adult coaches and mentors, and interact with a curriculum that is both developmentally and age appropriate to meet participants where they are and address their ever-changing needs — including their emotional and social needs as they are surrounded by and working with peers their same age.
We are committed to providing programs that build character and instill life-enhancing values through the game of golf, and our curriculum has evolved to increase our impact, relevancy and scale. The curriculum is centered around First Tee’s Commitment to Being a Game Changer©.
The five Key Commitments are the life skills we want our participants to adopt and pursue – these are the keys to unlocking good character:
- Pursuing Goals
- Growing through Challenge
- Collaborating with Others
- Building a Positive Self-Identity
- Using Good Judgment
The First Tee — Program curriculum is organized around four age groups:
- Age 7-9: Coaches deliver lessons that introduce and engage participants with both golf and life skills. Kids get active and play golf with their peers.
- Age 10-11: Coaches deliver lessons that support the exploration of both character and golf skills in active and collaborative ways.
- Age 12-13: Coaches deliver lessons that empower participants to explore both golf skills and character commitments through opportunities for mastery and growth.
- Age 14+: Coaches deliver lessons that help participants elaborate on their understanding and place a greater emphasis on their personal development.
Ultimately, we are Building Game Changers by empowering kids and teens to be the best version of themselves.